Heading to Disneyland and wondering what to wear to Disneyland? Looking for the perfect Disney family shirts as part of your trip? Here are tips on what to wear to Disneyland and some of our favorite places to find Disney shirts for the whole family!
A few years ago we decided to head to Disneyland for the first time together as an adult married couple. We went right as summer was winding down and it was becoming fall. My biggest concern for the trip was what to wear Disneyland. It had been so long since I had been, what was even appropriate for the big day?
What to Wear to Disneyland
We’ve now been several times in our married life, and I think I’ve learned a lot about Disneyland attire and what to wear to Disneyland. I thought I’d share some of my favorite ideas, a few tips, a guide for anyone planning an upcoming Disney vacation and wondering what to wear.
I’ll give the straightforward answer first: you can wear pretty much anything you’re comfortable in! I was nervous about wearing a dress or skirt, my personal favorites. But I realized after our first trip there wasn’t a single ride I wouldn’t have been just fine in a dress or skirt. I’ve seen people really go all out with character outfits, I’ve seen the most casual and the most formal. You’ll be able to get away with what you really want!
I used to not be a character person or even a screen-print t-shirt type person. But one trip to Disneyland later I changed my tune! It’s a place you get to feel the magic and act like a kid again. So as you think about what to wear for Disneyland, go ahead and indulge in your favorite character shirt or Disney saying. I promise over half the park is doing it and you’ll fit right in!
Disney Family Shirts
The great thing is these are really easy to find! We bought shirts for the entire family at Target for our first trip. And we’ve also had a lot of luck at Kohl’s finding cute and inexpensive Disney shirts for Disneyland. But just in case you’re looking for Disney family shirts to get everyone into character, here’s a list of our favorite places to find them:
- Kohls– great selection, plenty of cheap Disney shirts for the whole family!
- Target– there’s always at least one option for everyone. They do a lot of specific collections with some of the cutest prints and styles. You’ll always find something for everyone!
- Old Navy– Particularly for kids, this is a great place to snag a character shirt! But there are often women’s Disney shirts and men’s Disney shirts too!
- Etsy– if you’re looking for matching Disney shirts for the family, this is the way to go! There are so many shop owners who will customize shirts just for you. You can get the colors you want, you can have family names printed, and there’s every size. Plus I love the creativity and you can rest assured your Disney family shirts are more unique. I’m eying this churro themed shirt for my next trip!
- Amazon– hello Prime shipping if you’re putting this together last minute! There are lots of great options, and shops that customize on Amazon too! This seller, in particular, has some of the cutest Disney shirts for women- and the whole family for that matter!
- eBay– many are iron-on pieces, but there’s plenty of cute options for the whole family!
What to Wear for Disneyland- My Recommendations
Outside of fun family Disney shirts, here are a few other guidelines for what to wear to Disneyland.
It gets hot in the summer. Walking all day and being in the sun make what may seem temperate pretty warm. I’d plan for lightweight, breathable fabrics. Shorts and skirts are ideal, and a t-shirt or lightweight top are excellent. Make sure you feel comfortable moving around, getting wet on certain rides, and maybe even being sweaty in your outfit. Also, don’t forget the sunscreen!
Bring a jacket! Even on those hot days, it often cools down significantly at night. Unless you want to buy a sweatshirt for a souvenir, you may want to bring your own. Particularly if you have kids.
In the winter, check the forecast and prep for either. We’ve had days where we happily wore summer clothes. We had a trip in January of this year where we were cold most of the time. Sweaters, long-sleeves, and even a blanket purchase were in the cards. It really can vary, and you’ll be shocked by how much it can change even day-to-day!
Wear comfortable shoes. I’ve written a whole post on the best walking shoes for women, with tons of options linked at various price points. Disneyland is my ultimate test! My Fitbit tells me I walk 10-13 miles a day there, so good shoes are a must!
And If You’re Still in the Market for Cheap Disney Tickets
I always have to add this part, for anyone still looking into booking their trip.
We’re really into getting a good deal on Disney tickets and hotels so we can go more often- we can also justify spending money on new family Disney shirts for our trips! We’ve booked all our trips the past two years with Getaway Today. They are one of the only discount Disneyland and Disneyworld ticket providers out there.
Vacation packages so easy, and so much more affordable than anywhere else we’ve found! Also if you’re still dreaming of your trip, putting the $125 down and locking in the current prices and booking our trip on layaway is a great option. It doesn’t cost any more to do. It just gets our foot in the door while we come up with the rest of the trip.
Seriously, if you’re looking into an upcoming Disneyland trip, you should look into a Getaway Today package and use code: FridayLove for an extra $10 off your package!
Like this Disneyland post? You may love these posts too:
Beyond Dinner and a Movie
Grab Our 5 Ways to Keep Your Love Alive and Make Date Night Fun. The BEST date ideas in your inbox weekly.