This easy play dough recipe sets you up to create soft, homemade play dough in minutes! Plus it lasts for months in an air-tight container for hours of use!
One of the best ways to help kids develop eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills is with play dough! My mom used to make a gallon freezer bag for each of her kids each summer. I remember play for hours and trading colors with my siblings. I used to be intimidated at the thought of making it myself. But after consulting with my mom, I learned it’s one of the easiest things you can make for hours of play!
Feel free to cut out any toxic ingredients and use natural dyes and essential oils if that works best for your family.
Also, stay tuned for tons of ways to play with play dough activities coming later this week! You won’t believe how long kids will play with these ideas, and you’ll be ready to make several batches of this easy play dough recipe!
- - 2 cups flour
- - 3/4 cup salt
- - 1.5 Tablespoons Cream of Tarter
- - 2 Tablespoons oil
- - A few drops of favorite scent of essential oils (optional)
- - 2 cups water
- - Food coloring
- Mix in medium saucepan : flour, salt, cream of tarter.
- Turn on medium heat.
- Then add: oil, essential oils, 2 cups of water. Mix well.
* See Note on adding color to see timing to add it to your play dough mix
- Stir liquids into dry ingredients. Cool over medium heat and stir until it forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and place into a gallon freezer bag. Mix in any color/glitter/sand at this time kneading it into the bag.
Store in air tight container/bag. Should last 4-6 months if stored properly. We used THESE CONTAINERS for ours.
Adding Color Notes
- if you’re doing all one color add about 6-8 drops food coloring to water before you add to mix.
- If you’re doing multiple colors, add them after you cook the batch and mix by hand into bags
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 21228mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
* Not meant to be consumed, but okay if it is!
Play Dough Containers
Photos: Chrissy Blake
Like this activity for kids? You may like these posts too:
Get 365 Date Ideas!
We want to help you have the best date nights ever! Grab this FREE printable with 365 date ideas, a date for every day of the year so you never run out of ideas!