105-weekend children activities and family fun activities the entire family will love doing together!
We go on a date night every week to connect as a couple. But once a month, we invite our kids and make it a family date. We’ve found a lot of joy in planning intentional weekend children activities our whole family can enjoy!
There is something about wholesome recreational activities that bond families together. And we’d encourage any family to make fun activities on a designated fun weekend happen with children at least once a month!
If you need some fun ideas of fun things to do, here are 100 excellent weekend children activities.
Weekend Children Activities for Family Fun Days
- Create a family bucket list and let everyone share their top pick for an activity they’d like to do together this year. You’ll come up with your own list of great options!
- Plan a Family Movie Night
- Have a family game night and play your favorite games
- Buy a new board game and learn it together as a family
- Have a family pizza night and make person pan pizzas
- Complete a jigsaw puzzle together
- Bake cookies
- Have an Iron Chef competition
- Create a stop motion video together
- Play video games together
- Do science experiments together (try a Kiwi Crate to make it easy and extra exciting!)
- Get a bunch of glow sticks and have a glowstick dance party/neon dance party
- Do an Adventure Challenge for Families
- Create a scavenger hunt for kids to find a fun surprise
- Build a huge living room fort and have a living room picnic.
- Find a dance challenge to learn and learn it and record it together as a family
- Create a family tree and spend some quality time talking about what you know about your ancestors.
- Have a family read-a-thon with books and treats ready
- Have a family barbecue in the backyard
- Invite another family over for a potluck dinner in the backyard
- Do a s’mores night and tell stories by a bonfire
- Set up a tent and have a backyard campout or an indoor camping in the living room
- Set up a car wash/bike wash and pump the music
- Have a sidewalk chalk mural competition
Free Things to Do With Kids on the Weekend
- Go for a casual bike ride
- Ride bikes to a destination and navigate through a bike path
- Visit a skate park with scooters and skateboards
- Go tour an open houses and see the cool new designs and technology going into homes
- Set up a slip ‘n slide
- Jump on a trampoline with sprinklers
- Play glow-in-the-dark games
- Water balloon fight
- Have a Nerf gun war
- Play catch
- Have a family kickball tournament
- Visit a new park you’ve never been to
- Do a Home Depot run and get kids kits to complete together
- Have a park picnic
- Plan a formal jump in puddles and play in the rain activity for rainy days
- Look for shapes in the clouds
- Go for a hike
- Visit the local library and find books to read and movies to watch together
- Visit the thrift store and choose funny outfits for each other to try on.
- Attend a library storytime or a Barnes and Noble family storytime
- Do a museum preview day on their free day of the month
- Go to a splash pad
- Do a drawing lesson online and have a drawing competition
- Tour a fire station
- Go geocaching
- Have an outdoor family movie night
- Have a beach day at the beach or a lake
- Download our random acts of kindness list and go do a bunch of random acts of kindness
- Road trip to historic sites and go learn about local history
Fun Activities for Families to Do on the Weekend
- Go get ice cream
- Visit the weekend farmer’s market together
- Go bowling
- Visit an old school arcade
- Have a swimming day at a local swimming pool
- Visit amusement parks in your area
- Go miniature golfing
- Visit a family fun center/entertainment center
- Do an escape room
- Visit a water park
- Do train rides at a train park
- Take some road trips to nearby destinations
- Go to the science center
- Visit a dinosaur museum/museum of natural history
- Spend a day exploring art at your local art museum
Some of the Best Places to Go for Family Fun
- Go rock climbing
- Attend a basketball game
- Go to a baseball game
- Attend a football game
- Go to a soccer game
- Have a family zoo date
- Try horseback riding and book a guided tour on horseback (many summer camps offer weekend outings you can book)
- Play laser tag
- Visit the movie theater
- Go to the children’s museums in your area
- Go ice skating
- Try roller skating
- Visit a petting zoo
- Do a Saturday morning donut run
- Go out to brunch as a family
- Have dinner downtown where you can listen to some live music while you eat
- Visit the botanical gardens
- Watch for special events your city/town put on and make sure to attend one together
- Visit a local bakery and choose treats to enjoy
- Go to a candy shop and let everyone choose their favorite candy
Seasonal Weekend Children Activities
- Make some family New Year’s resolutions together. Be sure to turn it into a fun family party and let all family members have a say!
- Do Valentine’s fondue night dinner and share something you love about each other.
- Go see the Easter Bunny
- Do an Easter Egg Hunt
- Have a glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunt adding glowsticks pieces to eggs and hunt at night.
- Plant a tree or do some community service for Earth Day
- Attend a 4th of July parade
- Visit the state fair or summer carnival
- Go back to school shopping and let everyone choose a new piece of clothing.
- Have a big back-to-school family dinner and set goals and celebrate the start of the school year.
- Do our Halloween Scavenger Hunt for families. Grab the free printable here.
- Plan a family-themed Halloween costume and go thrifting to find items.
- Do a family service project to give thanks around Thanksgiving.
- Explore your neighborhood Christmas lights scene with our Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt.
- Go visit Santa at the mall and look into photo packages for some cute or silly family special photo opportunities.
- Go caroling and treat others to some live music
- Create graham cracker houses or gingerbread houses
These family activities are a great way to get the whole family, and kids of all ages involved in some family bonding! We hope family adventures and intentional weekend children activities together become some of your favorite things and favorite memories!
Like these weekend activities for families? Be sure to check out these posts too:
Get 365 Date Ideas!
We want to help you have the best date nights ever! Grab this FREE printable with 365 date ideas, a date for every day of the year so you never run out of ideas!