Perfect anniversary date ideas: find the perfect date idea to celebrate your anniversary and make it one you won’t forget!
For many people, there’s one day a year you can count you’ll be on one fantastic date, and that is none other than the anniversary date. But at the same time, for many, there’s nothing like the pressure of trying to come up with the perfect anniversary date idea that celebrates love and your relationship, and it can turn into a lot of stress quickly!
If it isn’t stressful, sometimes it can feel routine, you know, that same restaurant can feel tired year after year. Don’t worry friends, we have 12 perfect anniversary dates to help you shake things up and make this year even better! (This post contains affiliate links)
Anniversary Date Ideas
1. Visit the significant places in your relationship. You know that paperwork you filed that lead you bumping into your spouse for the first time? Go back to that building and counter and smile at the memory. That romantic walk where he proposed, take that same walk or a similar one if you aren’t in the same state. I used this date to tell my husband I was pregnant after years of infertility, and you can see all the crazy significant places we went on video HERE.
But really, there’s nothing sweeter than visiting where you met, where you first kissed, where you first said I love you, where you had important conversations, where you got married, etc. Make a list, fill up a tank of gas, and enjoy a romantic stroll through your history as a couple.
2. Do an anniversary pictures photo shoot. We do this every year and it’s one of our favorite things! There’s just something about dressing up and looking your best, smiling, being encouraged to kiss, and laughing with your partner while it’s being documented that is so fun and such a treasure.
3. Do something special for dinner. This is one most people think, yeah I’ll book somewhere expensive and romantic and call it a day. And you know what, it’s a cliché for a reason and always a good idea. But I’d recommend something new and exciting this year. Maybe think of the cheap place you first enjoyed on one of your first casual dates, and go enjoy the memories of simpler times with a little sentiment. Perhaps there’s a new place in town with your spouse’s favorite type of food. This is a good chance to get on that wait list and make a special day happen!
Or maybe you haven’t been back to the place you ate the night you got engaged or the place that catered a meal on your wedding day. Find something new and special. Or even old and familiar that it’s just been a while, and make sure to plan and book it.
Anniversary Date Night
4. Book a getaway. This can be one night at a cheap hotel, but get away and go experience a weekend just the two of you connecting. Trust me, even a staycation goes a long way and reminds you of your honeymoon or should-have-been honeymoon.
5. Recount your big day. Can you remember what time you woke up and what you did hour by hour? Try to recount all the details of the big day, what you were doing, what you were thinking, and enjoy hearing each other’s story! It’s also a great time to bust out the wedding video if you have one, or the photo album or digital files and look through the big day. A little nostalgia is perfect for this celebration.
6. Fill out our 10 Questions to Ask on Your Anniversary, and enjoy each other’s answers. I always love hearing what Jacob’s favorite part of the year was. He always loves hearing my strongest memory of the year (I have a pretty crazy memory). We love taking these to a restaurant, ordering, and filling them out while we wait for food. We eat slowly and enjoy each other’s responses. It’s something we look forward to every year, and it doesn’t matter if we eat expensive food or grab our favorite fast food.
7. Go on a big spender date. I made the category on purpose, and as much as I know people love the free date ideas, sometimes you’re like, let’s go all out and spend a wad of cash in the name of doing something really amazing. We’ve loved indoor skydiving, taking romantic cooking classes, and attending Broadway plays. I have tons of these listed, it’s a good time to gift a really cool experience and call it a date night to celebrate!
Dating Anniversary Ideas
8. Cook a romantic meal at home. Might I suggest a meal from your wedding lunch/dinner? Or maybe your favorite meal that takes a little time. Either way, put those kids to bed early or send them out of the house and enjoy your night in.
9. Celebrate your “Family Birthday” with your kids. I have so many friends who swear by this, a birthday cake, wedding photo/video review, and a big birthday party celebration with kids to honor the birthday you became an official family.
10. Plan an over-the-top romance night. We’re talking rose petals, candles, and maybe even a few games to spice up some special time in the bedroom. If ever there was a time to get a little cheesy and over-the-top, to prep for a great night of intimacy, it’s your anniversary. And you can make it your perfect anniversary date idea.
Romantic Anniversary Date Ideas
11. Read your vows. If you don’t have any, write new ones. There’s nothing like recommitting to promises and maybe laughing at your younger version of love too.
12. Get a couple’s massage. You work hard, your significant other works hard. There is nothing better than indulging in a little pampering and relaxation together while you unwind. And you don’t wear clothes when you do this, so there’s always that.
Like these anniversary date ideas? You may love these date night lists too:
Beyond Dinner and a Movie
Grab Our 5 Ways to Keep Your Love Alive and Make Date Night Fun. The BEST date ideas in your inbox weekly.